Berklee College of Music: 2022 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into Berklee College of Music. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to Berklee College of Music, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown Berklee College of Music statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out Berklee College of Music on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to Berklee College of Music, the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at Berklee College of Music
What GPA do you need to get into Berklee College of Music?
Berklee College of Music’s average GPA is 3.0. Berklee College of Music does require GPA. Berklee College of Music is currently selective. However, be aware that oftentimes schools in this GPA range are increasing their selectivity in hope of increasing “prestige”. We can’t read the minds of Berklee College of Music application readers, but they likely want to increase the average GPA from 3.0 to 3.15 this year - to play it safe, we recommend striving for the 3.15 GPA.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. Berklee College of Music may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on Berklee College of Music’s campus. These Berklee College of Music admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What is Berklee College of Music’s acceptance rate?
Last year Berklee College of Music’s acceptance rate was 28.810000000000002. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
|Acceptance Rate||N/A||N/A||28.81 %|
As you can see, Berklee College of Music is a little easier to get into than last year.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into Berklee College of Music - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
Does Berklee College of Music Require Test Scores?
Berklee College of Music requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how Berklee College of Music’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
Berklee College of Music SAT Requirements
Berklee College of Music’s average SAT score is 0 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether Berklee College of Music is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
Berklee College of Music’s average SAT score is 0. To be a competitive applicant for Berklee College of Music your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 0, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Berklee College of Music a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 0.
Berklee College of Music ACT Requirements
Berklee College of Music’s average ACT score is 0. To be a competitive applicant for Berklee College of Music your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 0, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Berklee College of Music a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 0.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
How hard is it to get into Berklee College of Music?
As you can see from the data above, Berklee College of Music is difficult to get into. Not only should you be aiming for a 3.0 but also SAT scores around 0.
Berklee College of Music Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into Berklee College of Music from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
How to get into Berklee College of Music
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into Berklee College of Music. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at Berklee College of Music, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with Berklee College of Music admission standards.
- Score at least a 0 on the SAT or 0 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.0.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with Berklee College of Music’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If Berklee College of Music values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. Boston has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. Berklee College of Music wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader Boston area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. Berklee College of Music needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows Berklee College of Music something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your Berklee College of Music app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that Berklee College of Music’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.