Bowdoin College: 2020 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into Bowdoin College. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to Bowdoin College, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown Bowdoin College statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out Bowdoin College on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to Bowdoin College, the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at Bowdoin College
What GPA do you need to get into Bowdoin College?
Bowdoin College’s average GPA is 3.94. Bowdoin College does require GPA. This average GPA means Bowdoin College is brutally selective - the most competitive applicants in the world are already applying to the school, in hopes of taking up residence in Brunswick, and, somehow, you need to be better. Generally speaking, if your GPA is not at least equal to 3.94 then Bowdoin College may be a reach. However, Bowdoin College considers the ENTIRE application - we can make up for a weak GPA with more factors that we’ll discuss below. If your GPA is equal to or greater than 3.94, you’re sitting right in the sweetspot.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. Bowdoin College may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on Bowdoin College’s campus. These Bowdoin College admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What is Bowdoin College’s acceptance rate?
Last year Bowdoin College’s acceptance rate was 14.87. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
|Acceptance Rate||15.0 %||14.0 %||14.87 %|
As you can see, Bowdoin College is a little easier to get into than last year.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into Bowdoin College - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
Does Bowdoin College Require Test Scores?
Bowdoin College requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how Bowdoin College’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
Bowdoin College SAT Requirements
Bowdoin College’s average SAT score is 0 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether Bowdoin College is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
Bowdoin College’s average SAT score is 0. To be a competitive applicant for Bowdoin College your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 0, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Bowdoin College a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 0.
Bowdoin College ACT Requirements
Bowdoin College’s average ACT score is 0. To be a competitive applicant for Bowdoin College your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 0, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Bowdoin College a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 0.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
How hard is it to get into Bowdoin College?
As you can see from the data above, Bowdoin College is exceptionally difficult to get into. Not only should you be aiming for a 3.94 but also SAT scores around 0. Getting into Bowdoin College is no easy feat and you will need to set yourself apart with more than just numbers and data. Read on to learn how.
Bowdoin College Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into Bowdoin College from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
How to get into Bowdoin College
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into Bowdoin College. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at Bowdoin College, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with Bowdoin College admission standards.
- Score at least a 0 on the SAT or 0 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.94.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with Bowdoin College’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If Bowdoin College values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. Brunswick has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. Bowdoin College wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader Brunswick area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. Bowdoin College needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows Bowdoin College something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your Bowdoin College app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that Bowdoin College’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
Related College & Universities:Transfering to Albertus Magnus College
Transfering to Charter Oak State College
Transfering to Holy Apostles College and Seminary
Transfering to Paier College of Art Inc
Transfering to University of Maine at Augusta