United States Naval Academy: 2022 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into United States Naval Academy. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to USNA Navy Annapolis, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown USNA Navy Annapolis statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out United States Naval Academy on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at USNA Navy Annapolis
What GPA Do You Need To Get Into United States Naval Academy?
United States Naval Academy’s average GPA is 4.3. United States Naval Academy does require GPA. This average GPA means United States Naval Academy is brutally selective - the most competitive applicants in the world are already applying to the school, in hopes of taking up residence in Annapolis, and, somehow, you need to be better. Generally speaking, if your GPA is not at least equal to 4.3 then United States Naval Academy may be a reach. However, United States Naval Academy considers the ENTIRE application - we can make up for a weak GPA with more factors that we’ll discuss below. If your GPA is equal to or greater than 4.3, you’re sitting right in the sweetspot.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. United States Naval Academy may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on USNA Navy Annapolis’s campus. These USNA Navy Annapolis admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What Is United States Naval Academy’s Acceptance Rate?
Last year United States Naval Academy’s acceptance rate was 0.0. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
As you can see, United States Naval Academy is getting more and more difficult to get into. If this trend continue it’s likely that USNA Navy Annapolis will be even more competitive by the time you apply.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into USNA Navy Annapolis - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
|Acceptance Rate||10.0 %||8.0 %||N/A|
Does United States Naval Academy Require Test Scores?
United States Naval Academy requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how United States Naval Academy’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
United States Naval Academy SAT Requirements
United States Naval Academy’s average SAT score is 1285 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether United States Naval Academy is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
United States Naval Academy’s average SAT score is 1285. To be a competitive applicant for United States Naval Academy your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 1180, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider United States Naval Academy a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1390.
United States Naval Academy ACT Requirements
United States Naval Academy’s average ACT score is 72. To be a competitive applicant for United States Naval Academy your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 81, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider United States Naval Academy a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 64.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
How Hard Is It To Get Into United States Naval Academy?
As you can see from the data above, United States Naval Academy is exceptionally difficult to get into. Not only should you be aiming for a 4.3 but also SAT scores around 1285. Getting into United States Naval Academy is no easy feat and you will need to set yourself apart with more than just numbers and data. Read on to learn how.
United States Naval Academy Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into United States Naval Academy from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
How to get into USNA Navy Annapolis
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into USNA Navy Annapolis. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at USNA Navy Annapolis, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with USNA Navy Annapolis admission standards.
- Score at least a 1285 on the SAT or 72 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 4.3.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with USNA Navy Annapolis’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If United States Naval Academy values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. Annapolis has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. United States Naval Academy wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader Annapolis area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. USNA Navy Annapolis needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows United States Naval Academy something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your USNA Navy Annapolis app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that USNA Navy Annapolis’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
$2,000 Student-led Virtual Tour Scholarship
- 15,000 real videos
- $50K+ in scholarship matches
- Best student loan rates
Register for our $2,000 Scholarship!
CampusReel is free for parents and students