Yale University: 2022 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into Yale University. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to Yale University , but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown Yale University statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out Yale University on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to Yale University , the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at Yale University
What GPA Do You Need To Get Into Yale University?
Yale University’s average GPA is 4.13. Yale University does require GPA. This average GPA means Yale University is brutally selective - the most competitive applicants in the world are already applying to the school, in hopes of taking up residence in New Haven, and, somehow, you need to be better. Generally speaking, if your GPA is not at least equal to 4.13 then Yale University may be a reach. However, Yale University considers the ENTIRE application - we can make up for a weak GPA with more factors that we’ll discuss below. If your GPA is equal to or greater than 4.13, you’re sitting right in the sweetspot.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. Yale University may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on Yale University ’s campus. These Yale University admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What Is Yale University’s Acceptance Rate?
Last year Yale University’s acceptance rate was 6.7299999999999995. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
As you can see, Yale University is getting more and more difficult to get into. If this trend continue it’s likely that Yale University will be even more competitive by the time you apply.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into Yale University - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
|Acceptance Rate||6.0 %||7.0 %||6.73 %|
Does Yale University Require Test Scores?
Yale University requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how Yale University’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
Yale University SAT Requirements
Yale University’s average SAT score is 1510 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether Yale University is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
Yale University’s average SAT score is 1510. To be a competitive applicant for Yale University your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 1420, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Yale University a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1600.
Yale University ACT Requirements
Yale University’s average ACT score is 102. To be a competitive applicant for Yale University your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 98, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Yale University a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 106.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
How Hard Is It To Get Into Yale University?
As you can see from the data above, Yale University is exceptionally difficult to get into. Not only should you be aiming for a 4.13 but also SAT scores around 1510. Getting into Yale University is no easy feat and you will need to set yourself apart with more than just numbers and data. Read on to learn how.
Yale University Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into Yale University from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
How to get into Yale University
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into Yale University . Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at Yale University , but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with Yale University admission standards.
- Score at least a 1510 on the SAT or 102 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 4.13.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with Yale University ’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If Yale University values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. New Haven has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. Yale University wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader New Haven area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. Yale University needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows Yale University something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your Yale University app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that Yale University ’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
$2,000 Student-led Virtual Tour Scholarship
- 15,000 real videos
- $50K+ in scholarship matches
- Best student loan rates
Register for our $2,000 Scholarship!
CampusReel is free for parents and students