The original 1930 Library building faces the Eastman Quadrangle and is built in the Greek Revival style. This part contains the University’s historic rooms, as well as the “old stacks” and the tower. When constructed, the architects assumed that the building would at some point require an addition. The substantial addition of 1969 was “wrapped around” the back and part of the sides of the original building. The addition is of a more modern style and can easily be differentiated from the original. The main entrance to the addition is on Library Road. This newer part of the Library has a more expansive atmosphere and a much larger stack area. Today it contains the Gleason Library, the IT center, the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections and much else. Its flexible space enables a variety of uses to evolve as needed.