Denison: 2020 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into Denison University. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to Denison, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown Denison statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out Denison University on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to Denison, the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at Denison
What GPA do you need to get into Denison University?
Denison University’s average GPA is 3.73. Denison University does require GPA. This average GPA means Denison University is very selective. Often times, schools in this range are trying to increase their selectivity and “prestige”. We can’t read the minds of Denison application readers, but they likely want to increase the average GPA from 3.73 to 3.92 this year - to play it safe, we recommend striving for the 3.92 GPA.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. Denison University may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on Denison’s campus. These Denison admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What is Denison University’s acceptance rate?
Last year Denison University’s acceptance rate was 28.89. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
|Acceptance Rate||44.0 %||37.0 %||47.89 %|
As you can see, Denison University is a little easier to get into than last year.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into Denison - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
Does Denison University Require Test Scores?
Denison University requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how Denison University’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
Denison University SAT Requirements
Denison University’s average SAT score is 1285 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether Denison University is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
Denison University’s average SAT score is 1285. To be a competitive applicant for Denison University your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 1190, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Denison University a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1380.
Denison University ACT Requirements
Denison University’s average ACT score is 86. To be a competitive applicant for Denison University your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 82, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Denison University a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 91.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
How hard is it to get into Denison University?
As you can see from the data above, Denison University is difficult to get into. Not only should you be aiming for a 3.73 but also SAT scores around 1285.
Denison University Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into Denison University from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
How to get into Denison
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into Denison. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at Denison, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with Denison admission standards.
- Score at least a 1285 on the SAT or 86 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.73.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with Denison’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If Denison University values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. Granville has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. Denison University wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader Granville area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. Denison needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows Denison University something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your Denison app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that Denison’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
Related College & Universities:Transfering to Chicago State University
Transfering to Governors State University
Transfering to Robert Morris University Illinois
Transfering to Andrews University
Transfering to Art Academy of Cincinnati