Maine College of Art: 2020 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into Maine College of Art. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to Maine College of Art, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown Maine College of Art statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out Maine College of Art on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at Maine College of Art
What GPA do you need to get into Maine College of Art?
Maine College of Art’s average GPA is 3.15. Maine College of Art does require GPA. Maine College of Art is currently selective. However, be aware that oftentimes schools in this GPA range are increasing their selectivity in hope of increasing “prestige”. We can’t read the minds of Maine College of Art application readers, but they likely want to increase the average GPA from 3.15 to 3.31 this year - to play it safe, we recommend striving for the 3.31 GPA.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. Maine College of Art may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on Maine College of Art’s campus. These Maine College of Art admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What is Maine College of Art’s acceptance rate?
Last year Maine College of Art’s acceptance rate was 98.05. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
|Acceptance Rate||N/A||N/A||98.05 %|
As you can see, Maine College of Art is a little easier to get into than last year.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into Maine College of Art - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
Does Maine College of Art Require Test Scores?
Maine College of Art requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how Maine College of Art’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
Maine College of Art SAT Requirements
Maine College of Art’s average SAT score is - - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether Maine College of Art is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
Maine College of Art’s average SAT score is -. To be a competitive applicant for Maine College of Art your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the -, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Maine College of Art a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of -.
Maine College of Art ACT Requirements
Maine College of Art’s average ACT score is -. To be a competitive applicant for Maine College of Art your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the -, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Maine College of Art a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of -.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
Maine College of Art Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into Maine College of Art from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
How to get into Maine College of Art
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into Maine College of Art. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at Maine College of Art, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with Maine College of Art admission standards.
- Score at least a - on the SAT or - on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.15.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with Maine College of Art’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If Maine College of Art values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. Portland has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. Maine College of Art wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader Portland area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. Maine College of Art needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows Maine College of Art something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your Maine College of Art app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that Maine College of Art’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
Related College & Universities:Transfering to University of Saint Joseph
Transfering to University of Maine at Farmington
Transfering to University of Maine at Fort Kent
Transfering to University of New England
Transfering to Thomas College