University of Notre Dame: 2022 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into University of Notre Dame. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to Notre Dame, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown Notre Dame statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out University of Notre Dame on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to Notre Dame, the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at Notre Dame
What GPA Do You Need To Get Into University of Notre Dame?
University of Notre Dame’s average GPA is 4.07. University of Notre Dame does require GPA. This average GPA means University of Notre Dame is brutally selective - the most competitive applicants in the world are already applying to the school, in hopes of taking up residence in Notre Dame, and, somehow, you need to be better. Generally speaking, if your GPA is not at least equal to 4.07 then University of Notre Dame may be a reach. However, University of Notre Dame considers the ENTIRE application - we can make up for a weak GPA with more factors that we’ll discuss below. If your GPA is equal to or greater than 4.07, you’re sitting right in the sweetspot.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. University of Notre Dame may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on Notre Dame’s campus. These Notre Dame admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What Is University of Notre Dame’s Acceptance Rate?
Last year University of Notre Dame’s acceptance rate was 19.8. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
As you can see, University of Notre Dame is a little easier to get into than last year.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into Notre Dame - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
|Acceptance Rate||19.0 %||19.0 %||19.8 %|
Does University of Notre Dame Require Test Scores?
University of Notre Dame requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how University of Notre Dame’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
University of Notre Dame SAT Requirements
University of Notre Dame’s average SAT score is 1445 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether University of Notre Dame is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
University of Notre Dame’s average SAT score is 1445. To be a competitive applicant for University of Notre Dame your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 1350, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider University of Notre Dame a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1540.
University of Notre Dame ACT Requirements
University of Notre Dame’s average ACT score is 33. To be a competitive applicant for University of Notre Dame your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 32, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider University of Notre Dame a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 35.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
How Hard Is It To Get Into University of Notre Dame?
As you can see from the data above, University of Notre Dame is exceptionally difficult to get into. Not only should you be aiming for a 4.07 but also SAT scores around 1445. Getting into University of Notre Dame is no easy feat and you will need to set yourself apart with more than just numbers and data. Read on to learn how.
University of Notre Dame Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into University of Notre Dame from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
How to get into Notre Dame
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into Notre Dame. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at Notre Dame, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with Notre Dame admission standards.
- Score at least a 1445 on the SAT or 33 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 4.07.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with Notre Dame’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If University of Notre Dame values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. Notre Dame has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. University of Notre Dame wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader Notre Dame area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. Notre Dame needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows University of Notre Dame something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your Notre Dame app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that Notre Dame’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
$2,000 Student-led Virtual Tour Scholarship
- 15,000 real videos
- $50K+ in scholarship matches
- Best student loan rates
Register for our $2,000 Scholarship!
CampusReel is free for parents and students