College of Charleston: 2020 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into College of Charleston. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to College of Charleston, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown College of Charleston statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out College of Charleston on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to College of Charleston, the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at College of Charleston
What GPA do you need to get into College of Charleston?
College of Charleston’s average GPA is 3.9. College of Charleston does require GPA. This average GPA means College of Charleston is brutally selective - the most competitive applicants in the world are already applying to the school, in hopes of taking up residence in Charleston, and, somehow, you need to be better. Generally speaking, if your GPA is not at least equal to 3.9 then College of Charleston may be a reach. However, College of Charleston considers the ENTIRE application - we can make up for a weak GPA with more factors that we’ll discuss below. If your GPA is equal to or greater than 3.9, you’re sitting right in the sweetspot.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. College of Charleston may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on College of Charleston’s campus. These College of Charleston admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What is College of Charleston’s acceptance rate?
Last year College of Charleston’s acceptance rate was 77.15. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
|Acceptance Rate||84.0 %||80.0 %||77.15 %|
As you can see, College of Charleston is getting more and more difficult to get into. If this trend continue it’s likely that College of Charleston will be even more competitive by the time you apply.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into College of Charleston - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
Does College of Charleston Require Test Scores?
College of Charleston requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how College of Charleston’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
College of Charleston SAT Requirements
College of Charleston’s average SAT score is 1095 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether College of Charleston is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
College of Charleston’s average SAT score is 1095. To be a competitive applicant for College of Charleston your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 1000, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider College of Charleston a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1190.
College of Charleston ACT Requirements
College of Charleston’s average ACT score is 72. To be a competitive applicant for College of Charleston your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 64, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider College of Charleston a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 81.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
College of Charleston Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into College of Charleston from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
How to get into College of Charleston
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into College of Charleston. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at College of Charleston, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with College of Charleston admission standards.
- Score at least a 1095 on the SAT or 72 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.9.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with College of Charleston’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If College of Charleston values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. Charleston has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. College of Charleston wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader Charleston area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. College of Charleston needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows College of Charleston something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your College of Charleston app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that College of Charleston’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
Related College & Universities:Transfering to University of South Alabama
Transfering to Troy University
Transfering to Saint Leo University
Transfering to Eastern Kentucky University
Transfering to Northern Kentucky University