Maine Maritime Academy: 2020 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into Maine Maritime Academy. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to Maine Maritime Academy, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown Maine Maritime Academy statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out Maine Maritime Academy on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to Maine Maritime Academy, the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at Maine Maritime Academy
What GPA do you need to get into Maine Maritime Academy?
Maine Maritime Academy’s average GPA is 3.37. Maine Maritime Academy does require GPA. This average GPA means Maine Maritime Academy is very selective. Often times, schools in this range are trying to increase their selectivity and “prestige”. We can’t read the minds of Maine Maritime Academy application readers, but they likely want to increase the average GPA from 3.37 to 3.54 this year - to play it safe, we recommend striving for the 3.54 GPA.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. Maine Maritime Academy may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on Maine Maritime Academy’s campus. These Maine Maritime Academy admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What is Maine Maritime Academy’s acceptance rate?
Last year Maine Maritime Academy’s acceptance rate was 65.15. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
|Acceptance Rate||76.0 %||80.0 %||65.15 %|
As you can see, Maine Maritime Academy is getting more and more difficult to get into. If this trend continue it’s likely that Maine Maritime Academy will be even more competitive by the time you apply.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into Maine Maritime Academy - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
Does Maine Maritime Academy Require Test Scores?
Maine Maritime Academy requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how Maine Maritime Academy’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
Maine Maritime Academy SAT Requirements
Maine Maritime Academy’s average SAT score is 1035 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether Maine Maritime Academy is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
Maine Maritime Academy’s average SAT score is 1035. To be a competitive applicant for Maine Maritime Academy your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 930, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Maine Maritime Academy a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1140.
Maine Maritime Academy ACT Requirements
Maine Maritime Academy’s average ACT score is 68. To be a competitive applicant for Maine Maritime Academy your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 61, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Maine Maritime Academy a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 76.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
Maine Maritime Academy Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into Maine Maritime Academy from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
How to get into Maine Maritime Academy
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into Maine Maritime Academy. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at Maine Maritime Academy, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with Maine Maritime Academy admission standards.
- Score at least a 1035 on the SAT or 68 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.37.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with Maine Maritime Academy’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If Maine Maritime Academy values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. Castine has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. Maine Maritime Academy wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader Castine area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. Maine Maritime Academy needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows Maine Maritime Academy something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your Maine Maritime Academy app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that Maine Maritime Academy’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
Related College & Universities:Transfering to University of Bridgeport
Transfering to Fairfield University
Transfering to Mitchell College
Transfering to College of the Atlantic
Transfering to University of Maine at Presque Isle