How to Get into North Central College
This is the go-to guide for getting into North Central College. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to NCC, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown NCC statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out North Central College on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. Here’s what we’re about to cover:
Table of Contents:
What GPA do you need to get into North Central College?
North Central College’s average GPA is 3.62. North Central College does require GPA. This average GPA means North Central College is very selective. Often times, schools in this range are trying to increase their selectivity and “prestige”. We can’t read the minds of NCC application readers, but they likely want to increase the average GPA from 3.62 to 3.8 this year - to play it safe, we recommend striving for the 3.8 GPA.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. North Central College may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on NCC’s campus. These NCC admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What is North Central College’s acceptance rate?
Last year North Central College’s acceptance rate was 57.16. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
|Acceptance Rate||59.0 %||54.0 %||57.16 %|
As you can see, North Central College is a little easier to get into than last year.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into NCC - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
Does North Central College Require Test Scores?
North Central College requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how North Central College’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
North Central College SAT Requirements
North Central College’s average SAT score is 1075 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether North Central College is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
North Central College’s average SAT score is 1075. To be a competitive applicant for North Central College your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 980, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider North Central College a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1170.
North Central College ACT Requirements
North Central College’s average ACT score is 59. To be a competitive applicant for North Central College your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 64, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider North Central College a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 55.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
How hard is it to get into North Central College?
As you can see from the data above, North Central College is moderately competitive. Not only should you be aiming for a 3.62 but also SAT scores around 1075.
North Central College Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into North Central College from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
|School Rank||Neither required nor recommended|
How to get into NCC
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into NCC. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at NCC, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with NCC admission standards.
- Score at least a 1075 on the SAT or 59 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.62.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with NCC’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If North Central College values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. Naperville has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. North Central College wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader Naperville area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. NCC needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows North Central College something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your NCC app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that NCC’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.