New School University: 2020 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into The New School. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to New School University, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown New School University statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out The New School on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to New School University, the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at New School University
What GPA do you need to get into The New School?
The New School’s average GPA is 3.49. The New School does require GPA. This average GPA means The New School is very selective. Often times, schools in this range are trying to increase their selectivity and “prestige”. We can’t read the minds of New School University application readers, but they likely want to increase the average GPA from 3.49 to 3.66 this year - to play it safe, we recommend striving for the 3.66 GPA.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. The New School may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on New School University’s campus. These New School University admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What is The New School’s acceptance rate?
Last year The New School’s acceptance rate was 66.62. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
|Acceptance Rate||60.0 %||62.0 %||66.62 %|
As you can see, The New School is a little easier to get into than last year.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into New School University - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
Does The New School Require Test Scores?
The New School requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how The New School’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
The New School SAT Requirements
The New School’s average SAT score is 1155 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether The New School is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
The New School’s average SAT score is 1155. To be a competitive applicant for The New School your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 1030, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider The New School a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1280.
The New School ACT Requirements
The New School’s average ACT score is 78. To be a competitive applicant for The New School your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 69, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider The New School a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 88.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
The New School Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into The New School from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
How to get into New School University
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into New School University. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at New School University, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with New School University admission standards.
- Score at least a 1155 on the SAT or 78 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.49.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with New School University’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If The New School values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. New York has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. The New School wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader New York area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. New School University needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows The New School something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your New School University app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that New School University’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
Related College & Universities:Transfering to Bowie State University
Transfering to Frostburg State University
Transfering to Salisbury University
Transfering to Monmouth University
Transfering to New Jersey Institute of Technology