USJ: 2020 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into University of Saint Joseph. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to USJ, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown USJ statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out University of Saint Joseph on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to USJ, the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at USJ
What GPA do you need to get into University of Saint Joseph?
University of Saint Joseph’s average GPA is 3.31. University of Saint Joseph does require GPA. This average GPA means University of Saint Joseph is very selective. Often times, schools in this range are trying to increase their selectivity and “prestige”. We can’t read the minds of USJ application readers, but they likely want to increase the average GPA from 3.31 to 3.48 this year - to play it safe, we recommend striving for the 3.48 GPA.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. University of Saint Joseph may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on USJ’s campus. These USJ admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What is University of Saint Joseph’s acceptance rate?
Last year University of Saint Joseph’s acceptance rate was 92.68. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
|Acceptance Rate||88.0 %||90.0 %||92.68 %|
As you can see, University of Saint Joseph is a little easier to get into than last year.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into USJ - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
Does University of Saint Joseph Require Test Scores?
University of Saint Joseph requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how University of Saint Joseph’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
University of Saint Joseph SAT Requirements
University of Saint Joseph’s average SAT score is 985 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether University of Saint Joseph is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
University of Saint Joseph’s average SAT score is 985. To be a competitive applicant for University of Saint Joseph your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 860, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider University of Saint Joseph a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1110.
University of Saint Joseph ACT Requirements
University of Saint Joseph’s average ACT score is 0. To be a competitive applicant for University of Saint Joseph your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 0, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider University of Saint Joseph a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 0.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
University of Saint Joseph Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into University of Saint Joseph from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
|School Rank||Neither required nor recommended|
How to get into USJ
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into USJ. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at USJ, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with USJ admission standards.
- Score at least a 985 on the SAT or 0 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.31.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with USJ’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If University of Saint Joseph values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. West Hartford has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. University of Saint Joseph wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader West Hartford area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. USJ needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows University of Saint Joseph something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your USJ app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that USJ’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
Related College & Universities:Transfering to University of Maine at Farmington
Transfering to University of Maine at Fort Kent
Transfering to University of New England
Transfering to Maine College of Art
Transfering to Thomas College