University of South Dakota: 2020 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into University of South Dakota. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to University of South Dakota, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown University of South Dakota statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out University of South Dakota on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to University of South Dakota, the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at University of South Dakota
What GPA do you need to get into University of South Dakota?
University of South Dakota’s average GPA is 3.35. University of South Dakota does require GPA. This average GPA means University of South Dakota is very selective. Often times, schools in this range are trying to increase their selectivity and “prestige”. We can’t read the minds of University of South Dakota application readers, but they likely want to increase the average GPA from 3.35 to 3.52 this year - to play it safe, we recommend striving for the 3.52 GPA.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. University of South Dakota may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on University of South Dakota’s campus. These University of South Dakota admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What is University of South Dakota’s acceptance rate?
Last year University of South Dakota’s acceptance rate was 73.54. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
|Acceptance Rate||88.0 %||87.0 %||73.54 %|
As you can see, University of South Dakota is getting more and more difficult to get into. If this trend continue it’s likely that University of South Dakota will be even more competitive by the time you apply.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into University of South Dakota - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
Does University of South Dakota Require Test Scores?
University of South Dakota requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how University of South Dakota’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
University of South Dakota SAT Requirements
University of South Dakota’s average SAT score is 1045 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether University of South Dakota is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
University of South Dakota’s average SAT score is 1045. To be a competitive applicant for University of South Dakota your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 890, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider University of South Dakota a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1200.
University of South Dakota ACT Requirements
University of South Dakota’s average ACT score is 67. To be a competitive applicant for University of South Dakota your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 58, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider University of South Dakota a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 76.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
University of South Dakota Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into University of South Dakota from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
How to get into University of South Dakota
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into University of South Dakota. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at University of South Dakota, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with University of South Dakota admission standards.
- Score at least a 1045 on the SAT or 67 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.35.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with University of South Dakota’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If University of South Dakota values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. Vermillion has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. University of South Dakota wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader Vermillion area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. University of South Dakota needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows University of South Dakota something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your University of South Dakota app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that University of South Dakota’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
Related College & Universities:Transfering to University of Northern Iowa
Transfering to Upper Iowa University
Transfering to Pittsburg State University
Transfering to University of Minnesota-Duluth
Transfering to Minnesota State University Moorhead