University at Buffalo (UB): 2022 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into University at Buffalo (UB). We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to University at Buffalo, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown University at Buffalo statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out University at Buffalo (UB) on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to University at Buffalo, the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at University at Buffalo
What GPA Do You Need To Get Into University at Buffalo (UB)?
University at Buffalo (UB)’s average GPA is 3.7. University at Buffalo (UB) does require GPA. This average GPA means University at Buffalo (UB) is very selective. Often times, schools in this range are trying to increase their selectivity and “prestige”. We can’t read the minds of University at Buffalo application readers, but they likely want to increase the average GPA from 3.7 to 3.89 this year - to play it safe, we recommend striving for the 3.89 GPA.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. University at Buffalo (UB) may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on University at Buffalo’s campus. These University at Buffalo admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What Is University at Buffalo (UB)’s Acceptance Rate?
Last year University at Buffalo (UB)’s acceptance rate was 59.99. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
As you can see, University at Buffalo (UB) is a little easier to get into than last year.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into University at Buffalo - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
|Acceptance Rate||59.0 %||57.0 %||59.99 %|
Does University at Buffalo (UB) Require Test Scores?
University at Buffalo (UB) requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how University at Buffalo (UB)’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
University at Buffalo (UB) SAT Requirements
University at Buffalo (UB)’s average SAT score is 1170 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether University at Buffalo (UB) is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
University at Buffalo (UB)’s average SAT score is 1170. To be a competitive applicant for University at Buffalo (UB) your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 1070, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider University at Buffalo (UB) a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1270.
University at Buffalo (UB) ACT Requirements
University at Buffalo (UB)’s average ACT score is 79. To be a competitive applicant for University at Buffalo (UB) your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 71, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider University at Buffalo (UB) a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 88.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
University at Buffalo (UB) Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into University at Buffalo (UB) from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
How to get into University at Buffalo
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into University at Buffalo. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at University at Buffalo, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with University at Buffalo admission standards.
- Score at least a 1170 on the SAT or 79 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.7.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with University at Buffalo’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If University at Buffalo (UB) values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. Buffalo has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. University at Buffalo (UB) wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader Buffalo area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. University at Buffalo needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows University at Buffalo (UB) something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your University at Buffalo app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that University at Buffalo’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
$2,000 Student-led Virtual Tour Scholarship
- 15,000 real videos
- $50K+ in scholarship matches
- Best student loan rates
Register for our $2,000 Scholarship!
CampusReel is free for parents and students