University of Memphis: 2020 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into University of Memphis. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to University of Memphis, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown University of Memphis statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out University of Memphis on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to University of Memphis, the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at University of Memphis
What GPA do you need to get into University of Memphis?
University of Memphis’s average GPA is 3.46. University of Memphis does require GPA. This average GPA means University of Memphis is very selective. Often times, schools in this range are trying to increase their selectivity and “prestige”. We can’t read the minds of University of Memphis application readers, but they likely want to increase the average GPA from 3.46 to 3.63 this year - to play it safe, we recommend striving for the 3.63 GPA.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. University of Memphis may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on University of Memphis’s campus. These University of Memphis admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What is University of Memphis’s acceptance rate?
Last year University of Memphis’s acceptance rate was 39.78. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
|Acceptance Rate||57.0 %||85.0 %||39.78 %|
As you can see, University of Memphis is getting more and more difficult to get into. If this trend continue it’s likely that University of Memphis will be even more competitive by the time you apply.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into University of Memphis - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
Does University of Memphis Require Test Scores?
University of Memphis requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how University of Memphis’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
University of Memphis SAT Requirements
University of Memphis’s average SAT score is 1030 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether University of Memphis is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
University of Memphis’s average SAT score is 1030. To be a competitive applicant for University of Memphis your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 900, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider University of Memphis a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1160.
University of Memphis ACT Requirements
University of Memphis’s average ACT score is 66. To be a competitive applicant for University of Memphis your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 56, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider University of Memphis a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 77.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
How hard is it to get into University of Memphis?
As you can see from the data above, University of Memphis is difficult to get into. Not only should you be aiming for a 3.46 but also SAT scores around 1030.
University of Memphis Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into University of Memphis from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
|School Rank||Neither required nor recommended|
How to get into University of Memphis
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into University of Memphis. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at University of Memphis, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with University of Memphis admission standards.
- Score at least a 1030 on the SAT or 66 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.46.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with University of Memphis’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If University of Memphis values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. Memphis has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. University of Memphis wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader Memphis area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. University of Memphis needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows University of Memphis something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your University of Memphis app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that University of Memphis’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.