Clemson University: 2020 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into Clemson University. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to Clemson University, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown Clemson University statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out Clemson University on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to Clemson University, the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at Clemson University
What GPA do you need to get into Clemson University?
Clemson University’s average GPA is 4.43. Clemson University does require GPA. This average GPA means Clemson University is brutally selective - the most competitive applicants in the world are already applying to the school, in hopes of taking up residence in Clemson, and, somehow, you need to be better. Generally speaking, if your GPA is not at least equal to 4.43 then Clemson University may be a reach. However, Clemson University considers the ENTIRE application - we can make up for a weak GPA with more factors that we’ll discuss below. If your GPA is equal to or greater than 4.43, you’re sitting right in the sweetspot.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. Clemson University may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on Clemson University’s campus. These Clemson University admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What is Clemson University’s acceptance rate?
Last year Clemson University’s acceptance rate was 51.27. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
|Acceptance Rate||51.0 %||47.0 %||51.27 %|
As you can see, Clemson University is a little easier to get into than last year.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into Clemson University - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
Does Clemson University Require Test Scores?
Clemson University requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how Clemson University’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
Clemson University SAT Requirements
Clemson University’s average SAT score is 1245 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether Clemson University is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
Clemson University’s average SAT score is 1245. To be a competitive applicant for Clemson University your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 1150, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Clemson University a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1340.
Clemson University ACT Requirements
Clemson University’s average ACT score is 90. To be a competitive applicant for Clemson University your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 79, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Clemson University a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 101.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
Clemson University Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into Clemson University from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
|School Rank||Considered but not required|
How to get into Clemson University
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into Clemson University. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at Clemson University, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with Clemson University admission standards.
- Score at least a 1245 on the SAT or 90 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 4.43.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with Clemson University’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If Clemson University values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. Clemson has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. Clemson University wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader Clemson area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. Clemson University needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows Clemson University something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your Clemson University app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that Clemson University’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
Related College & Universities:Transfering to University of Arkansas
Transfering to Georgia State University
Transfering to University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Transfering to University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Transfering to University of Memphis