School of Visual Arts: 2020 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into School of Visual Arts. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to School of Visual Arts, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown School of Visual Arts statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out School of Visual Arts on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to School of Visual Arts, the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at School of Visual Arts
What GPA do you need to get into School of Visual Arts?
School of Visual Arts’s average GPA is 3.41. School of Visual Arts does require GPA. This average GPA means School of Visual Arts is very selective. Often times, schools in this range are trying to increase their selectivity and “prestige”. We can’t read the minds of School of Visual Arts application readers, but they likely want to increase the average GPA from 3.41 to 3.58 this year - to play it safe, we recommend striving for the 3.58 GPA.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. School of Visual Arts may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on School of Visual Arts’s campus. These School of Visual Arts admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What is School of Visual Arts’s acceptance rate?
Last year School of Visual Arts’s acceptance rate was 75.33. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
|Acceptance Rate||N/A||N/A||75.33 %|
As you can see, School of Visual Arts is a little easier to get into than last year.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into School of Visual Arts - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
Does School of Visual Arts Require Test Scores?
School of Visual Arts requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how School of Visual Arts’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
School of Visual Arts SAT Requirements
School of Visual Arts’s average SAT score is 1082 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether School of Visual Arts is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
School of Visual Arts’s average SAT score is 1082. To be a competitive applicant for School of Visual Arts your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 935, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider School of Visual Arts a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1230.
School of Visual Arts ACT Requirements
School of Visual Arts’s average ACT score is 23. To be a competitive applicant for School of Visual Arts your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 21, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider School of Visual Arts a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 26.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
School of Visual Arts Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into School of Visual Arts from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
|School Rank||Neither required nor recommended|
|School Record||Neither required nor recommended|
How to get into School of Visual Arts
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into School of Visual Arts. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at School of Visual Arts, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with School of Visual Arts admission standards.
- Score at least a 1082 on the SAT or 23 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.41.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with School of Visual Arts’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If School of Visual Arts values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. New York has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. School of Visual Arts wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader New York area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. School of Visual Arts needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows School of Visual Arts something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your School of Visual Arts app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that School of Visual Arts’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
Related College & Universities:Transfering to Wesley College
Transfering to Catholic University of America
Transfering to Gallaudet University
Transfering to Goucher College
Transfering to Hood College