Claremont McKenna College: 2020 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
This is the go-to guide for getting into Claremont McKenna College. We suggest you read until the end... Not only will we layout the exact GPA and test scores you should aim for when applying to Claremont McKenna College, but we’ll also offer creative ways to help your application stand out from the pack. We breakdown Claremont McKenna College statistics better than any article out there and show you how these have changed over time. Also, make sure to check out Claremont McKenna College on CampusReel to see what it’s really like here. If you're interesting in transferring to Claremont McKenna College, the read our transfer guide. You can also use the below calculator to help determine your likelihood of acceptance at Claremont McKenna College
What GPA do you need to get into Claremont McKenna College?
Claremont McKenna College’s average GPA is 3.97. Claremont McKenna College does require GPA. This average GPA means Claremont McKenna College is brutally selective - the most competitive applicants in the world are already applying to the school, in hopes of taking up residence in Claremont, and, somehow, you need to be better. Generally speaking, if your GPA is not at least equal to 3.97 then Claremont McKenna College may be a reach. However, Claremont McKenna College considers the ENTIRE application - we can make up for a weak GPA with more factors that we’ll discuss below. If your GPA is equal to or greater than 3.97, you’re sitting right in the sweetspot.
*BEFORE CONTINUING PLEASE NOTE: GPA and “prestige” DO NOT mean a college is right for you. Claremont McKenna College may seem amazing on paper, but you may hate it... That’s why 700,000 students transfer colleges every year - they end up going to the wrong school. It’s crucial to watch the videos on CampusReel and make sure you can envision yourself on Claremont McKenna College’s campus. These Claremont McKenna College admission statistics do not sufficiently tell you what a college or university is like.
What is Claremont McKenna College’s acceptance rate?
Last year Claremont McKenna College’s acceptance rate was 10.96. However, check out how the acceptance rate has changed over time.
|Acceptance Rate||9.0 %||10.0 %||10.96 %|
As you can see, Claremont McKenna College is a little easier to get into than last year.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood for getting into Claremont McKenna College - it’s a very high level understanding of the true competition. Use the acceptance rate as a general guide for curating a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness. Then, use the below data to get a deeper understanding of how your application will compare to the rest of the pool.
Does Claremont McKenna College Require Test Scores?
Claremont McKenna College requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how Claremont McKenna College’s accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, don’t freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
Claremont McKenna College SAT Requirements
Claremont McKenna College’s average SAT score is 1405 - this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT (the 1600 scale). Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed - it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether Claremont McKenna College is getting more or less competitive.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
Claremont McKenna College’s average SAT score is 1405. To be a competitive applicant for Claremont McKenna College your SAT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 1320, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Claremont McKenna College a “target” school (one that you are likely to get into) you should aim for a score of 1490.
Claremont McKenna College ACT Requirements
Claremont McKenna College’s average ACT score is 95. To be a competitive applicant for Claremont McKenna College your ACT score should come close to the average. If you’re closer to the 89, you’re likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Claremont McKenna College a “target” school (one that you have a good chance of getting into) you should aim for a score of 101.
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile||Average|
How hard is it to get into Claremont McKenna College?
As you can see from the data above, Claremont McKenna College is exceptionally difficult to get into. Not only should you be aiming for a 3.97 but also SAT scores around 1405. Getting into Claremont McKenna College is no easy feat and you will need to set yourself apart with more than just numbers and data. Read on to learn how.
Claremont McKenna College Requirements
Now you know where you need to be for getting into Claremont McKenna College from a grade and test score perspective. Let’s quickly outline what else you’ll need to provide for your application to get reviewed, and then we’ll move onto the most important section: differentiating your app.
How to get into Claremont McKenna College
Follow these steps to maximize your chances of getting into Claremont McKenna College. Everything you read above will help prepare you for what you need to achieve to have a shot at Claremont McKenna College, but these steps will take you even further in applying that knowledge and differentiating your application.
Main Academic Excellence that is in line with Claremont McKenna College admission standards.
- Score at least a 1405 on the SAT or 95 on the ACT.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.97.
Join Extracurriculars that Align with Claremont McKenna College’s Values.
- Join your school band, a sports team or another group activity. If Claremont McKenna College values music heavily, for example, then try to participate in an organization related to that topic.
- Volunteer in your hometown. Claremont has tons of ways to be involved beyond just the college. Claremont McKenna College wants applicants that are also good ambassadors for the school - they want students who will give back to the local community and broader Claremont area in general.
- Spend your summer doing something that speaks to your values, personal growth, leadership qualities and other less quantifiable characteristics. Claremont McKenna College needs to see past your test scores and grades - they need to know that you will be a valuable and contributing member of their community. You are more than grades and test scores - your experiences should demonstrate that.
Prepare Your Application
- Write a stellar essay that shows Claremont McKenna College something they can’t figure out from the other parts of your application. For a detailed guide on writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher recs that speak to your character. If you know what you’re majoring in and include that in your Claremont McKenna College app, try to have at least 1 recommendation from a teacher in that department.
- Apply Before the Deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during this precious time window. Since many students are applying on the last day, it’s possible that Claremont McKenna College’s own system crashes. Don’t risk the added stress this can cause - submit your app a few days early.
Related College & Universities:Transfering to Bethesda University
Transfering to California Institute of Integral Studies
Transfering to California Institute of Technology
Transfering to Sofia University
Transfering to California Institute of the Arts